Although we are back on-campus for worship, you, your family and friends may connect to our worship service on Zoom by clicking HERE or you can join us on YouTube at youtube.com/graceumcla!
Grace UMC prepares for Sunday worship by reading the scripture for the coming Sunday’s sermon. Below, you fill find questions that can be used for Bible Study, small groups or personal devotion. Let the scripture speak in to your life! Expect great things!
Kind and gracious Lord, you are the creator of all things, the author of life, and our loving God. We thank you for your faithful presence in our lives, and we thank you for the Word of God.
As we prepare to study your Word together, we ask you to open our minds. Help us clear away the clutter and quiet any outside voices so we can hear only what you long to speak to us.
Scripture: Matthew 3:1-6 (Common English Bible)
In those days John the Baptist appeared in the desert of Judea announcing, 2 “Change your hearts and lives! Here comes the kingdom of heaven!” 3 He was the one of whom Isaiah the prophet spoke when he said:
The voice of one shouting in the wilderness,
“Prepare the way for the Lord;
make his paths straight.”[a]
4 John wore clothes made of camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist. He ate locusts and wild honey.
5 People from Jerusalem, throughout Judea, and all around the Jordan River came to him. 6 As they confessed their sins, he baptized them in the Jordan River.
For the Season of Advent, we join in a a sermon series “Walk In the Light” that focuses on the path to celebration of Christ’s birth on Christmas.
In this scripture, John the Baptist appears in the wilderness to prepare the way of the Lord. .
- What is a word, phrase or image that comes to mind when you read or hear the text?
- In this scripture, John the Baptist wore strange clothes, but was called to prepare the way of the Lord. What made people listen to John, despite what he wore and ate? Why is it important not to “judge a book by its cover?”
- What does this scripture teach you about appearances?
- What does God invite you to do, change or be through this passage?
Discipleship Huddle Questions:
- How is it with your soul?
- How does your soul prosper?
God, who lifts up the humble, give us guidance to see how we might be part of your mission of the redemption of the world. Give us the hands of compassion to extend your love and grace. Amen.