Grace UMC prepares for Sunday worship by reading the scripture for the coming Sunday’s sermon. Below, you fill find questions that can be used for Bible Study, small groups or personal devotion. Let the scripture speak in to your life! Expect great things!
Opening Prayer (Wesley Covenant Prayer)
O God, Searcher of all our hearts,
you have formed us as a people and claimed us for your own.
As we come to acknowledge your sovereignty and grace,
and to enter anew into covenant with you,
reveal any reluctance or falsehood within us.
Let your Spirit impress your truth on our inmost being,
and receive us in mercy, for the sake of our Mediator, Jesus Christ,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Scripture: Psalm 23 (Common English Bible)
4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley,[d]
I fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
you anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
6 Surely[e] goodness and mercy[f] shall follow me
all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
my whole life long.
For the season of Lent, we journey with Jesus through the wilderness. As Jesus’ was prepared for his public ministry in the wilderness, through the season of Lent, God prepares us for how to live in the Resurrection. Embrace Lent, as we learn to live with Jesus!
In the 23rd Psalm, we are reminded that we can live through the wilderness when we follow the Lord.
- What is a word, phrase or image that comes to mind when you read or hear the text?
- In this scripture, the David reminds us that the Lord leads us to rest and leads us through the wilderness (the darkest valley)? In looking back, the Psalmist recognizes God’s “goodness and mercy” following them. Recall a time when God led you to rest. Recall a time when God led you through a “dark valley.” Did you know God helped you at the time? What has God led you through?
- What does this scripture teach about following?
- What does God invite you to do, change or be through this passage?
Discipleship Huddle Questions:
- How is it with your soul?
- How does your soul prosper?
God who surprises us, help us to be surprised by an encounter with you. Keep us attentive to your presence as we go about our week.