Grace UMC prepares for Sunday worship by reading the scripture for the coming Sunday’s sermon. Below, you fill find questions that can be used for Bible Study, small groups or personal devotion. Let the scripture speak in to your life! Expect great things!
We gather here today to grow, learn and change as a group. As we begin our Bible study, we ask that you help all of us to gain a better understanding of your truth. We lay down our hearts, minds and lives before you. We ask that you move among us and help us to feel safe with one another: to think, ask for help and to question. Helps us to share our life with you and grow in our knowledge of your Word. In Christ’s name we pray, Amen.
Scripture: Galatians 6:1-10 (Common English Bible)
Brothers and sisters, if a person is caught doing something wrong, you who are spiritual should restore someone like this with a spirit of gentleness. Watch out for yourselves so you won’t be tempted too. 2 Carry each other’s burdens and so you will fulfill the law of Christ. 3 If anyone thinks they are important when they aren’t, they’re fooling themselves. 4 Each person should test their own work and be happy with doing a good job and not compare themselves with others. 5 Each person will have to carry their own load.
6 Those who are taught the word should share all good things with their teacher. 7 Make no mistake, God is not mocked. A person will harvest what they plant. 8 Those who plant only for their own benefit will harvest devastation from their selfishness, but those who plant for the benefit of the Spirit will harvest eternal life from the Spirit. 9 Let’s not get tired of doing good, because in time we’ll have a harvest if we don’t give up. 10 So then, let’s work for the good of all whenever we have an opportunity, and especially for those in the household of faith.
The phrase “as above, so below” has many meanings. Among them, “As above”, refers to the spiritual realm and “So below”, refers to the physical world, with the goal that life on earth should resemble the beauty of life eternal.
In this scripture, we are given guidance for how to live a life of the Spirit while still on earth. As we follow God’s spiritual guidance from above, so we shall live a life of the Spirit below!
- What is a word, phrase or image that comes to mind when you read or hear the text?
- The Apostle Paul wants the people church wants the Church at Galatia to come together across their differences. Jewish Christians wanted Gentile Christians to observe the Law of Moses in order to be recognized as followers of Jesus. Paul taught that true faith has found in a life of the spirit. Are there laws and customs today that the church uses as a litmus test for who is and isn’t a Christian? What does Paul say are the best sings for whether someone is living a spiritual life?
- What does this scripture teach you about being spiritual?
- What does God invite you to do, change or be through this passage?
Discipleship Huddle Questions:
- How is it with your soul?
- How does your soul prosper?
God of Spirit and truth, we give you thanks for your challenge and inspiration to be the people of God. Give us the ears to hear your Holy Word. Help us to respond to the call of humility and obedience. Amen.