Grace UMC prepares for Sunday worship by reading the scripture for the coming Sunday’s sermon. Below, you fill find questions that can be used for Bible Study, small groups or personal devotion. Let the scripture speak in to your life! Expect great things!
Kind and gracious Lord, you are the creator of all things, the author of life, and our loving God. We thank you for your faithful presence in our lives, and we thank you for the Word of God.
As we prepare to study your Word together, we ask you to open our minds. Help us clear away the clutter and quiet any outside voices so we can hear only what you long to speak to us.
Scripture: 2 Timothy 1:1-5 (Common English Bible)
From Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by God’s will, to promote the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus.
2 To Timothy, my dear child.
Grace, mercy, and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord.
3 I’m grateful to God, whom I serve with a good conscience as my ancestors did. I constantly remember you in my prayers day and night. 4 When I remember your tears, I long to see you so that I can be filled with happiness. 5 I’m reminded of your authentic faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice. I’m sure that this faith is also inside you.
What is God’s future for our lives? Our families? The church? The world? As believers, we are not called to wait on the future, but to walk into it. We are marching to Zion! The future is now!
The faith must be passed on. The baton must be passed. Encourage the emerging generation to take the baton and run!
- What is a word, phrase or image that comes to mind when you read or hear the text?
- In this scripture, Paul reminds his mentee, Timothy, that he’s being prayed for and that the faith his grandmother and mother is within him. Who are the mentors who prayed for and encouraged you? Who has God called you to mentor and encourage in the faith?
- What does this scripture teach you about faith?
- What does God invite you to do, change or be through this passage?
Discipleship Huddle Questions:
- How is it with your soul?
- How does your soul prosper?
God, who lifts up the humble, give us guidance to see how we might be part of your mission of the redemption of the world. Give us the hands of compassion to extend your love and grace. Amen.