Grace UMC prepares for Sunday worship by reading the scripture for the coming Sunday’s sermon. Below, you fill find questions that can be used for Bible Study, small groups or personal devotion. Let the scripture speak in to your life! Expect great things!
Kind and gracious Lord, you are the creator of all things, the author of life, and our loving God. We thank you for your faithful presence in our lives, and we thank you for the Word of God.
As we prepare to study your Word together, we ask you to open our minds. Help us clear away the clutter and quiet any outside voices so we can hear only what you long to speak to us.
Scripture: Exodus 32:11-14 (Common English Bible)
11 But Moses pleaded with the Lord his God, “Lord, why does your fury burn against your own people, whom you brought out of the land of Egypt with great power and amazing force? 12 Why should the Egyptians say, ‘He had an evil plan to take the people out and kill them in the mountains and so wipe them off the earth’? Calm down your fierce anger. Change your mind about doing terrible things to your own people. 13 Remember Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, your servants, whom you yourself promised, ‘I’ll make your descendants as many as the stars in the sky. And I’ve promised to give your descendants this whole land to possess for all time.’” 14 Then the Lord changed his mind about the terrible things he said he would do to his people.
‘On Second Thought’ is a phrase that expresses openness to “thinking about something again.” We may think we know everything we need to know about faith in God, but every now and then, it’s important to be open to think again.
In this passage of scripture, God changes God’s mind. God has a second thought. If God can have a change of mind, can we?
- What is a word, phrase or image that comes to mind when you read or hear the text?
- The Israelites had been so disobedient that God was angry and considered punishing them. Moses pleads on the people’s behalf, God reconsiders and decides to save them instead. Why does God’s mind change on this matter? How does it feel to hear a story of God’s mind changing? What may the Holy Spirit be leading us to change our minds on?
- What does this scripture teach you about God?
- What does God invite you to do, change or be through this passage?
Discipleship Huddle Questions:
- How is it with your soul?
- How does your soul prosper?
God, who lifts up the humble, give us guidance to see how we might be part of your mission of the redemption of the world. Give us the hands of compassion to extend your love and grace. Amen.